Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine



 
 
Ah, Valentine's Day. Loved by (some) women, hated by (most) men. Our house is no different, I like it, The Hubs can't stand it. I always wondered why it had to be a holiday for one or the other, why not for both? So, many years ago in the early years of our marriage The Hubs and I made a deal for Valentine's. He would go out of his comfort zone and buy me something "Valentine-ish" (flowers & card - never expensive!) and I would go out of my (then) comfort zone and buy something sexy.
 
 At the time that was a huge deal for me. Being the sweet innocent good girl (read: prude) just the thought of going into a sex shop was petrifying. Much less have to go in alone?? I knew nothing of what to buy, what would I like, what would The Hubs like. And don't even get me started on what to do if I saw someone I knew?!.But, I also knew I needed to test my limits and expand my horizons. And after all, a deal is a deal.
 
We have a local shop that is pretty big, and the first time in alone I saw mostly the carpet. I ran through the racks trying to find something that didn't look so crazy, but also made it look like I wasn't the prude that I knew I was. I can't even remember what that was, but I remember it was some sort of battery operated dildo. (Side note: yes, all of the "gifts" given to The Hubs are to be used on me) I'll never forget the panic that went through my head when the cashier asked if I wanted to try it out before I left. He meant turn it on and off to make sure it worked (since all sales are final) but to this young naive girl I thought he meant like use it. I said "NO!" probably a little too eagerly and left quickly.
 
Thankfully each year has gotten easier, and what a variety of toys we have amassed! Let's see, we've gotten a Fuck Saw . some glass dildos, various vibrators, costumes/lingerie, whips and cuffs. I try to buy something that I'm interested in trying but haven't yet. Sometimes I know exactly what I'm looking for and other times I have to just see what hits me as exciting.
 
And thankfully I've gotten much more comfortable shopping for toys. I was laughing at myself thinking of just that. This year when I went in I smiled at the cashier "Good Morning!" I said. Then I couldn't find what I was looking for and casually went to ask the attendant. I sauntered around the aisles taking my time, and unlike so many years ago only diverted away from another customer because it was two young guys who were themselves being the immature ones!
 
Of course, I can't tell you what I bought, in case The Hubs is reading! ;)
 
The Wife

2 comments:

  1. :-D Sounds like a good tradition to have!

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Abby, the advice columnist, had a piece in our paper (2/13/13) I thought might interest you and your readers. A mother writes with concerns about her two daughters, ages 24 and 30. The older is divorced and the younger married. Mom writes the older’s divorce came about because of out of relationship sex by both partners. Her concern is the younger daughter invites her husband o have sex with her older sister. The daughter maintains this solves two problems. She thinks this will keep her husband from straying further and provides sex for her sister who is too busy with grad school to find partners. I thought this an interesting solution. I also wondered if they enjoyed threesomes which brings up the question of intra family sex. Maybe some of your readers might want to comment.

    ReplyDelete